Summer Sixteen may go down in the books as my “Best Summer Ever!” In honor of summer’s last gasp I want to share with you all 10 of my best moments, places, and things.
My 10 Summer Bests:
1. Cannes & Kia Motors
I am STILL processing my trip to the south of France! In July I traveled to Cannes as a guest of Kia Motors for an amazing cross-cultural driving experience. I literally drove a Kia Sportage down a mountain (yes read that again). We visited Cannes, Nice, Antibes, Grasse, Monaco…some of the highlights were a stop at a perfume museum (heaven) and my first soccer match (England vs Iceland – epic!)
2. Culinary experience at Ritz-Carlton Cancun
I got to live my Food Network fantasies for a day thanks to Chef Ryan! 5 fabulous days at this beautiful resort in May and this was one of my favorite moments. We spent the day at local markets shopping for dinner ingredients. After lunch (and cervezas) at Chef’s favorite taqueria I got a private cooking lesson at the resort’s state of the art Culinary Center. Watch some of my “cooking show” here.
I wouldn’t have made it through the summer without my turbans! If you follow me on IG you know they were a constant throughout my travels. Turbans are a great way to protect your hair while looking chic on the plane or luxuriating by the pool. Here’s a quick vid of how I do some of my signature looks: https://youtu.be/_SsSc0D57MI
4. Tote bags
Tote bags were a must for me on planes and wandering around on my summer adventures. I was able to fit my DSLR, iPad mini, extra chargers, books, and anything else I needed on the road.
5. Rose’ – No explanation needed 🙂
6. Cosmedicine Even the Score sunscreen
This works double duty as a primer and a waterproof sunblock. My skin never felt greasy and because it does 2 things (very well) that is one less product I had to pack. #travellight
7. Portable tripod & remote control
One of my most commented snap stories this summer was on how to take great shots of yourself while traveling alone. I owe everything to my wireless remote and travel tripod. Both are under $20 and a must when you want to take things a step up from your smart phone. Get them here: bit.ly/africatraveltripod
8. Eden Body Works curl soufflé + Mielle Organics Babassu Deep Conditioner
This was the summer of the twist-out for me. My heat damage was finally gone and I was able to start playing in my hair again. The EDEN BodyWorks Curl Soufflé gives great definition and soft hold…basically second day hair on the first day! The Mielle Organics Babassu Deep Conditioner brought my hair back to life after every adventure. It’s a great mix of protein & moisture which is perfect when you don’t have time for a lengthy hair routine. A quick vid of how I style my twistout:
9. Magens Bay (St. Thomas) – The cover photo for this post was taken here. I can honestly say now that I was sleeping on St. Thomas! There are so many beautiful places on the island, but this was my favorite. My time on the island with all of the ladies from Parlour Magazine’s #TravelFly Solo Weekend is one I will cherish forever!
10. TSA Pre Check – Take 10 minutes, fill out the online application, schedule your interview, and pay the money($85 for 5 years). Pre check has saved me from missing flights, ridiculously long security lines, and really who wants to take their shoes off in the airport?! Link to apply here.